expatriate: "out of fatherland"

expatriate: "out of fatherland"

Monday, March 5, 2012

Why Doha?

Well, here is how it transpired.  (a bit lengthy- but there are pics near the end)

In October 2011, I returned from Uganda and found myself JUMPING out of my skin for adventure.  I was getting quite frustrated with myself, because I really had it quite good in Houston, Texas.  But I was literally wiggling in my seat for....something.

I prayed to God, begged for Him to show me what is next, apologized for not relishing my wonderful situation and asked if He would please please direct me onward or just turn off this drive.

Then one day I'm walking to the bathroom at work and someone was walking my direction- in search of me.  Heidi, there is this opportunity in "cutter."  (What's "cutter'?)  It's totally safe, women have rights, it's not your typical Middle Eastern country (Ok- so it's in the Middle East).  We are wanting to pull someone from corporate to go over there and help set the office up.  (Whoa!)  Would you be interested in throwing your name in the hat?  SURE (What the heck did I just agree to?).

I proceeded to the bathroom, then back to my desk and pull up google.  c-u-t-t-e-r m-i-d-d-l-e e-a-s-t didn't give me much results.  From my work bestee I find out it is Qatar.  OoooH!  So I re-google.  WHOA!  They own Harrods?  and Manchester United?  It's so lavish.  What is this place.  I read that they are growing and building and developing like crazy. Hm...fascinating.  I tell my dad (forgot to tell my mom).  A few friends. I was flattered.

Thanksgiving.

Holidays.

Dec. 15th-ish.  Heidi, can you come down and meet with the Chairman?  SURE, when?  Now.  Ok.  On my way.  
So - you want to go to Cutter.  Ya!  Well, I've never thought, I WANT to go to Qatar. But I love travel and anything international.  So yes, I want to go.   Ok.  Well....(I don't remember what was said).  Have you traveled before?  Yes, sir I've spent some time in Uganda.  (I don't know what else he asked.  Maybe if I was married or had kids....I said no)

Dec. 19th.  Heidi, you've been selected.  Ok.  Wow.  Can I think about this for 24 hours.  Sure and we want you to spend a week there and see if you still want to do it.  Ok.  That'd be helpful.  We want to send you over the first week of January.  Alright, I'll let you know tomorrow.  


Tomorrow.  Ok.  I'd like to check it out.  


Jan. 2nd.  I land in Doha, Qatar (after flying the oh-so-classy Qatar Airways -- Continental/United: get with it!  Everyone needs hot towels when they fly...how have I done without for so long).

Exquisite buildings.  Construction.  Food.  Construction. Masques.  Construction.


The Soque Waqif.  Construction.  Malls.  



Construction.  Al Corniche.  Construction.  FOOD.  Construction.  Arabic.  Construction.  Thobes.  Construction.  Land Cruisers.  Construction.


Hummus.  Construction.  Construction.  Shisha.  Construction.  Lemon-mint juice.  Construction.


Ok.  I can do this.  What an awesome, crazy, unique place.  I HAVE to do this!  Too cool of an opportunity to NOT do it.  I WANT to do this.  HOW AM I EVEN GETTING THIS OPPORTUNITY?!  So amazing.  Thank you God.  Is it God?  I really think it is.  So- please be with me as I jump into this crazy adventure!  Amen.

Feb. 14th (Valentines Day/Qatar's National Sports Day).  I land in Doha.  For a while.


I'm here opening up an office for a American construction contracting company.  I am just short of starting from the VERY BEGINNING of the process.  The office buildout started (pictured right) about 8 months ago and should be done in 1-2 months.  Are they sure they know what they are doing trusting me with this?  Well, I will work my little patootie off showing they made the right choice!  :)  It is a lot of responsibility.  It's nerve racking.  I love it. 
My sisters dog...no point to the entry.  Just adorable.   
 



3 comments: